Black Bean Chili Soup with Beef
This soup is light but filling it is truly a winner.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 20 minutes
Calories 247 kcal
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin, divided
- 1 onion medium-large chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 carrot stalks peeled and sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes basil & garlic Marzano tomato
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp Better than bouillon beef flavor
- 1 1/2 +1/4 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 6-7 fresh thyme 6-7 stems tied into a bunch
- Rinse your beans well until the water is clear let drain and set aside.
- In a 5-quart soup pot or stock pot add one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once heated add the ground meat and add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper break up the meat and constantly stir the meat so it will cook evenly and quickly, about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Once lightly browned using a strainer let the meat drain and set it aside.
- Using the same pot add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onions, celery, and cook for about 2 minutes then add the garlic cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly and please do not let the garlic burn it will taste really nasty if it burns, not kidding.
- Add the carrots and sauté for about 2 minutes then add the tomatoes, beans, meat and the dry seasoning, fresh thyme, and finally the water.
- On a low heat let this soup simmer for at least one hour and a half to two hours, I let mine simmer for 2 hours and it was so worth it.
- Once simmered do not forget to remove the fresh thyme from the pot and discard and add the fresh parsley as a garnish.
*You can use beef stock instead of the better than bouillon beef flavor which takes the place of stock but it has such flavor. I always have this in my pantry if I am out of broth or my stock it is good to have and it comes in other flavors, chicken and vegetable.
*The reason I did not use a lot of salt in this dish is because the better than bouillon beef flavor have enough salt, a little goes a long way.
Ps. use as many organic products as you can