Tomato Soup in a can taken to a new level
Sometimes we need to take the shortcut and create a simple semi-homemade meal that is quick and delicious.
- 1 15 oz tomato basil soup (I used Progresso Hearty )
- 12 grape tomatoes (halved or whole)
- 12 shrimps (large, deveined)
- 1 avocado (sliced), or chopped 1/4 inch chunks
- 1 tbsp fresh chives (chopped for garnish, optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped, divided)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped, divided)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin, divided)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper (divided)
- 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
Clean and devein your shrimps well, drain off any excess water using a colander.
Season the shrimp with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, 1/4 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic.
In a medium pot on low heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp fresh basil, 1/4 tsp black pepper and stir for about 2 minutes then add the grape tomatoes, can tomato soup, and the sugar, let simmer on low heat.
In a pan add the rest of the olive oil over medium heat add the shrimp and cook on both sides for about 2 minutes each side. Once cooked set aside in a separate dish they will continue to cook when added to the soup.
Slice open the avocado and remove the pit and cut into 1/4 inch slices and then into 1/4 inch chunks add the lemon juice over the avocado be very careful when handling avocado use a rubber spatula to gently turn to coat with the lemon juice set aside. The lemon will stop the avocado from turning brown.
Add the shrimp to the soup and the rest of the basil and simmer about 3 minutes on low heat.
The dish is ready to serve, once you place the soup in a bowl you can add the avocado and garnish with the fresh parsley, chives and serve immediately.
You can can also garnish with some fresh Parmesan Cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese and some good crusty bread and enjoy.
*Use as many organic products as you can