Roasted Cauliflower Soup
I wanted this soup to be vegetarian and vegan friendly.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin divided)
- 1 large carrot (2 small carrots slice into 1/4 pieces)
- 6 cloves garlic (peels on)
- 2 tbsp shallots (chopped when separated you will have 4 )
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs (tied into a bunch)
- 3 1/2 tsp kosher salt (divided)
- 1/2 tsp fresh black ground pepper (divided)
- 2-3 tsp garlic granulate
- 2-3 tsp onion granulate/powder
- 32 oz organic vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In the mean time rinse cauliflower and pat dry removing the core using a knife and place the cauliflower on a sheet pan and separate the cauliflower in to florets, cauliflower is more delicate than broccoli be very careful when separating them so they do not crumble then add the garlic cloves with the peels on to the sheet pan off to the side (see the illustration below) season with the salt, pepper, garlic and onion granulate.
- Drizzle the cauliflower and garlic cloves with 3 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil make sure to coat well so they do not burn while roasting.
- Place the carrots on to a separate pan and season with the remaining salt and pepper, drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil coat well and place in the oven to roast.
- In a 5 quart soup pot or a pot large enough add three cups of water, the tied rosemary sprigs, red pepper flakes and all the contents of the vegetable broth cover and let simmer on a low flame.
- Roast the Cauliflower for 25 minutes and the carrots for 30 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary sprig and set to the side add the cauliflower to the pot being very careful not to splatter hot liquid on yourself if using a hand-held blender, blend the cauliflower but leave some pieces bite size it will make this soup hearty. Once you see it thicken to a nice consistency add the carrots to the pot and add the rosemary sprig back into the pot.
- Let Simmer for an extra 15 minutes. Taste to see if it is seasoned enough if not you can add more salt and pepper to taste.
*Do not forget to remove the rosemary sprig and discard
*You can use a blender on pulse.